Okay...anticipation is already building for the 2016 season! Here's the preliminary Colorado Triple Crown and Challenge Series schedule. The 2016 Series is definitely a climber's series, so get ready to climb! 2016 Colorado Triple Crown calendar:
- June 11, 2016: Colorado High Country Double Century (Boulder to Steamboat), 207 miles, 12,000 feet. (This is the only point-to-point event on the calendar next year. Please start making arrangements for transportation back to Boulder ASAP!)
- June 25, 2016: Cycle to Saturn Double Century, 200 miles, 20,000 feet, 7 miles of (tricky) dirt/gravel roads
- July 9, 2016: Colorado Classic Double Century, 241 miles, 17,000 feet, 41 miles of dirt/gravel roads. (Back-up date: July 10, 2016 if weather conditions are not rideable on July 9)
- July 30, 2016: Cripple Creek Crippler, 207 miles, 19,000 feet
- August 20, 2016: Tim Kalisch Memorial Grand Loop, 200 miles 15,500 feet
A few notes:
- These events and dates are subject to change depending on road conditions and construction projects.
- We are taking a year off from the Colorado Death Ride and Denver-to-Aspen for 2016. These two events will be back in 2017, along with at least one new event!
- The information contained on this blog for each event has not been updated yet. I will be updating these over the next few weeks!
- We are still uncertain if the Just for Kids Foundation in Telluride will host the Mountains to Desert/Telluride 200 in 2016. Last year's double century event was cancelled due to lack of pre-registered riders. If the Telluride 200 is contested on September 24, 2016, riders hoping to complete the Colorado Triple Crown will receive credit for the event if they successfully complete the ride within the challenging time restriction.
2016 RMCC Challenge Series Events
These events are timed events, shorter than the Triple Crown rides, but meant to help prepare riders for the rigors of the Colorado Triple Crown.
- April 29, 2016: Foothills Climbfest, 80 miles, 8000 feet. We have traditionally contested this timed ride during Memorial Day weekend in May. But in order to avoid conflict with other events on the RMCC calendar, we will likely hold this ride in April this season.
- May 28, 2016: Boulder Fearsome Five, 100 miles, 15,000+ feet of climbing...back for the first time since the epic floods of 2013!
- Sept 2016, TBD. Gold Belt Century, Colorado Springs. If you don't have a gravel or cross bike, you will need one for this incredible century! More details to come soon!
|Guanella Pass will be entirely paved from Georgetown to Grant for 2016, making this year's Cycle to Saturn Double Century perhaps a bit easier?!? Come and find out for yourself!|